I have been running a default setup of Apple’s Mac OS X Server as a mail and mailing list server since early March and it has been working well except for some non-critical glitches. The firm I support runs only Mac OS X Server on both Apple Xserve’s as well as on other non-server hardware (Mac Pros and minis).
I found that the Mailman system which is modified by Apple seemed to not be generating any log files. Upon closer inspection I found that the Mailman system was creating logs they were just not where Apple’s server OS was expecting them.
At this point in time I don’t know if this is due to a glitch during the original installation of if this is just the way Apple set it up. Since I have found a few other people with this or a very similar issue I suspect it’s a glitch in Apple’s set up.
I found that the Apple default configs are expecting the logs to be written to
but the Mailman* system is configured to write them to
I was concerned that a future update/upgrade from Apple might break the logging if I went and changed the Mailman config so instead I set up a symlink for /var/logs/mailman pointing to /var/mailman/logs and this seems to work both from the GUI or the CL. This almost seems like a typo on Apple’s part.
Just thought this might be useful to anyone supporting Apple servers.
* This is not the default Mailman location but Apple’s modified Mailman location